Williams Baptist University seeks applicants for the position of assistant professor of history and political science. This is a full-time faculty position (10-month contract) in the history department. This position requires a generalist historian competent to teach courses in American history, Western civilization, historical method, and other courses as needed.
Founded in 1941, Williams Baptist University is an evangelical Christian liberal arts university, accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). It is located in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas, and has an average enrollment of 500 students. Owned and operated by the Arkansas Baptist State Convention, the University takes seriously its identity as a Christian institution in the Baptist tradition. We are committed to producing exceptional graduates prepared to competently engage local and global cultures through a Christ-centered worldview. We accomplish this by providing an excellent, holistically Christian, liberal arts education while compassionately shaping student lives. More information about the University’s history, mission, and vision can be reviewed on this website.
- Teaches a minimum of 27 hours a year in undergraduate coursework in the department of history and political science.
- Advises students in the history department
- Serves on various faculty committees
- Required: Ph.D. (or ABD) in history.
- Preferred: Teaching experience as an adjunct or full-time faculty member.
Knowledge, Skills, Competencies:
- Exceptional commitment to Christian higher education
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organizational efficiency and attention to detail; able to work quickly with high degree of accuracy; able to multi-task
- Knowledge of effective recruitment and retention practices
- Strong and innovative leadership skills; public relation skills; strong organizational skills
- Ability to counsel and communicate effectively with students
- Strong interpersonal relationship and communication skills
- Ability to handle confidential information appropriately
- Teaching skills
- Ability to stand, sit, type, and walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and to lift 35 lbs.
- Ability to use standard office equipment
- Ability to use institutional technology equipment and resources
- Committed to the vision and mission of Williams Baptist University
- Per WBU Employee Handbook policy (40.2): “It is required that all faculty and administrative staff be persons who have accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and who are active members of a local Christian church which adheres to an evangelical faith consistent with the historic religious beliefs of Southern Baptists.”
- Per WBU Policy Statement
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job description has been approved by all levels of management
Applicants must be individuals of the highest Christian character, competent professionals, and servant leaders. Applicants should complete WBU’s online application at this link and then email a resume, statement of faith and references to email@example.com. A review of applicants will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The position is scheduled to begin at the start of this summer.